Sunday, May 26, 2013

Day 5: Transfer Day!

The day has come the doctors at SRM are gonna put a baby in my belly. I am incredibly nervous. I am incredibly shaky and trying to remain calm. It was not as early an appointment as they usually are, however, we were not 100% sure of our route to get to Seattle as the Skagit I-5 bridge collapsed this week causing many delays and is our route to Seattle. Not helping the stress level at all.

Well, the detour routes were easy and I was drinking my 36 ounces of water on the way and took my Ativan to try to help with the nerves. This procedure was EVERYTHING. I knew the importance of this day and all that lead up to it, and how much was riding on a smooth procedure. I was not as “prepared” to know what to expect for it and that was adding to the nerves. I knew I was not going to be asleep and it might be pretty uncomfortable. Especially with an incredibly full bladder. I knew the catheter holding the embryo of choice was, had to be, small…but still. UGH. I was going to pop I was just sure of it.

I did threaten the super nice doctor that I just might perhaps pee in her face so she had better be gentle. I am hoping it was the nerves. That just doesn’t sound like me.

MAGICAL!  Miles and I got to see the picture of the embryo #4139782 that was selected due to its size and growth progress. It was deemed #1 and put up on a monitor for us to see and talk to. I felt privileged to see my baby at this early of a stage where most at this point wouldn’t have even known there was something in there floating around as it is before it has even “attached” itself to the uterus yet. MAGIC for sure.


It was floating around and we watched the catheter suck it up into the tubes and the tubes were immediately transferred inside me. Again we watched the monitors and saw the catheter glide to the exact spot the doctors wanted and then a tiny lil shape we’ve named “odd shapey” kind of rolled out and landed somewhere inside the uterus.
 All the equipment was removed and I could just lay there on the table and relax. YEAH Right!  RELAX! I had a full bladder and they wanted me to lay still. Forty minutes of misery while equipment and ultrasounds pressed on my bloated belly…and now all this time later I needed to do the potty dance. An egg timer was set for 15 minutes and ticked mockingly away at me.

When that thing dinged I really did spring to my feet. I nearly forgot I was supposed to be moving carefully and walk/waddle slowly. I threw on a very fancy hospital worthy white waffle terry cloth skirt with snaps up the side and I half waddled/half pranced to the nearly bathroom and finally had the best pee of my life…just saying. It was wonderful.

It wasn’t until we were on our way home and I realized the extent of what just happened. They put that tiny lil baby in my belly. It is with me RIGHT now. Just floating around and hopefully getting used to its new “home” and wanting to find a good place to settle in. That is what we are hoping. We want baby to stick, but at this point we have done everything we can and it is entirely in God’s hands now. It is a good feeling to know we have tried everything and offer up our trust in Him that this baby is His and His plan for our lives.

My first ultrasound is sometime in the first week of June. So I have bed rest for a couple days and then life resumes to “normal” and the waiting ultimately begins.
The dreaded 2ww (Two-week wait) commences.
As close as we’ve ever been to Daring to Dream…BIG

No comments: